Staying hydrated during pregnancy and breastfeeding is important. It is recommended that pregnant women should increase their total water intake by an extra 300ml/day during pregnancy and 700ml/day during breastfeeding, over and above the 2000ml/day of total water intake recommended by EFSA.*
Why is drinking water regularly important during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, water plays a vital role:
- On average, it makes up 60% of your body, and is mostly renewed every 6 weeks, primarily through the water you drink.
- This water contributes to the formation and renewal of the amniotic fluid that encircles your baby for the first nine months of life, which is made of 90% water.
- At 25 weeks, the foetus itself is nearly 90% water.
- For the first several months after birth, babies’ key source of nutrition is through breast milk, which is comprised of 87% water.
What’s more, as your new born baby’s body is 75% water, it is ever so important for you to stay hydrated when breastfeeding to accompany your baby’s development.
Why is evian® Natural Mineral Water suitable?
With evian® you can be sure that the water is:
- Pure: untouched by man, evian® is of the utmost purity, free from any chemical treatment or disinfection
- Balanced: mineral composition (less than 1,000 mg/litre of total weight remaining after evaporation)
- Stable: evian® gives the guarantee of a constant and unchanging composition
Month after month, during this formative period of life, water is truly fundamental to helping you provide for your baby and supporting their healthy development.
WATER, THE CYCLE OF LIFE
*Source: The Natural Hydration Council - view website